11.05.2003

Dear Office of Admissions:

I am writing today in hopes of persuading you to allow my nephew Craig entrance into your fine educational institution. Admittedly, Craig has had his troubles in high school, his grades were poor and he didn’t participate in many extracurricular activities, but I really believe he will blossom at a large and diverse university such as yours if only given the proper chance, and after you read about what a special person Craig is, I believe you will indeed want to give him that chance.

On paper, Craig doesn’t seem like the best candidate for college. Craig was never the “popular” kid in school. He wasn’t the star athlete, the class clown or the academic whiz. Craig was just a regular kid who tried his best to “fit in” with the regular crowd. I think we can all remember how difficult and awkward it was to be a teenager, so I hope you’ll be gentle when reviewing Craig’s application.

One part of the admission application I feel needs special attention is the section concerning the background check. Although you may have already heard about certain incidents through the media, I would like to expand on these reports as a sort of countermeasure to some of the more one-sided “news” you may have heard concerning my nephew.

Yes, in 2001, his sophomore year, Craig tried to shoot some of his classmates with a high-powered assault rifle. You may have heard through certain media outlets the story of Craig and the kids he attempted to “kill” in the cafeteria. Combined with the struggles he had in Algebra, I know this must look pretty bad, but I ask for your patience and understanding. I want you to please remember that Craig only intended to scare a small group of kids who were bullying him. Personally, I think it was fairly innocent. What teenager didn’t pull a knife or Chinese Throwing Star in a misguided attempt to scare off some local playground thugs? I hope you won’t hold this against him as a prospective freshman for the class of 2005. He is actually a really sweet and generous kid.

While the newspapers managed to only report the negatives, I’d like to highlight some of the positives. While it is true that Craig fired over 700 rounds of ammunition and tossed several illegal Russian hand grenades, he never actually killed anyone. I think this shows a tremendous amount of self-control and skill – rare for any 17-year-old boy. Also I would like to note that Craig never once pointed his rifle at any teachers or school workers. This is a fine example of Craig’s respect for the adults in his life – again rare for a young man growing up in a culture that commonly dismisses the feelings and opinions of those over 40. And finally, as the police SWAT team closed in on Craig, he surrendered quickly and calmly – again highlighting an advanced sense of civic duty and a mature and profound respect for authority.

Ultimately Craig would love a chance to start things over. I’m hoping you will open your hearts and be generous enough to provide that opportunity. Thank you for your time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home